February 13, 2009

Poor Cameron

Last Wednesday Cameron had a mild fever of about 100, so he stayed home from school and rested, I figured his body must be fighting something. By the late afternoon he perked up and seemed fine, so he went to school Thursday. Well that night around 10:00 the terrible barky cough began and when he inhaled it sounded just awful. I had Paris listen to him over the phone so he could hear how bad it sounded, of course my Nurse was not here he had to work. Cameron and I sat in the bathroom for 30 minutes with the shower on full blast to steam it up nice a good, he just fell asleep, then I bundled him all up with a blanket and we sat on the porch for a few minutes. Back inside to bed, by this time his fever was rising and his breathing wasn't a whole lot better, so I filled the humidifier with water, gave him some Motrin, and got him all settled in bed - with me. I knew I wouldn't get much sleep with him kicking me and sleeping sideways and snoring, but I was too worried about his breathing to put him in his own room. He slept pretty good - I did not, but at least I knew he was okay and didn't have to get out of bed to check on him all night. So to speed up the story a bit, Friday he was just plain sick, with a cough and fever of 102, on and off all day. Saturday he was still so sick, poor thing had no energy and couldn't get off the couch - still had his fever of 102/103. Paris thought we should take him to Urgent Care so we got him ready and just as we were getting his shoes on by the front door, he started coughing, then throwing up - he did miss the rug at the front door which was a miracle and only got his pants and my arm, the rest made it on the wood floor which was no problem to clean. We lay him on the floor in the living room so we could change his pants, I said to him as he lay there in pain, coughing and just feeling awful, "It's okay Cameron, it's okay", He looked at me and said "It's not okay mommy, it's not. " Poor thing was so sick, it was just not okay, he wanted to feel better. Paris took him to Urgent Care and they were back within the hour with 2 prescriptions, one for Azithromycin, and then a cough medicine with codene. I opted to go get them filled but of course our regular pharmacy at Salmon Creek Hospital is closed on Saturday so I thought I'd head to Walmart since it was closer than Costco..... BAD decision on my part. After being in Walmart for 1 hour and 30 minutes with all of the crazy's, then getting the run around and wanting to charge me $75 for the medications (that's WITH Insurance) grrrrrr. I decided to get my prescriptions back and took them to Costco where I waited another 40 minutes, paid the reasonable amount and finally made it home. Cameron was still sick on Sunday and coughed all night, Paris checked his lungs several times but heard nothing, he still had his fever too, so first thing Monday I called Dr. Jones and we went in that afternoon to see her. She gave us a prescription for a single dose of a steroid medication to help with the strider in his cough (when he inhaled) and told us if he was not better by Wednesday to come back and she would order a chest X-ray, even though as of then his lungs sounded clear... Tuesday he was a TINY bit better, his fever was a little lower and his cough a bit better. Wednesday he had no fever just completely weak, but he was bouncing back, our Cameron was returning! Finally by Thursday he was doing a whole lot better he was really perking up and was able to go to school. He missed school so much while he was sick, he just loves Ms. Kaden and his Kindergarten class. We are so glad this terrible, terrible sickness is finally gone - now we can try to get caught up on some very needed sleep.


Poor Cameron sick on the couch.

1 comment:

debbie said...

Yikes! I don't look forward to that side of parenting at all. I'm glad Cameron's doing better. And the Valentine's pictures are so cute!

Family Motto

"OUR FAMILY IS STRONG, FAITHFUL, NICE,
LOYAL, FRIENDLY, SAFE, LOVING, AND HAPPY"